Facts of Poorna Jagannathan
|Full Name:||Poorna Jagannathan|
|Birthplace:||Tunis, Tunisia, Africa|
|Nationality:||Tunisian and American|
|Height:||5 feet 7 inches (1.70m)|
Poorna Jagannathan is an Indian-American actress best known for her role in HBO’s critically acclaimed drama series “The Night Of.” Poorna Jagannathan has also appeared in the Bollywood cult comedy “Delhi Belly.” Similarly, in the year 2020, she starred as Dr. Nalini Vishwakumar in the Netflix series “Never Have I Ever.”
How old is Poorna Jagannathan?
Poorna Jagannathan was born on December 22, 1972 in Tunis, Tunisia, Africa. She is 47 years old and was born under the Capricorn sign. She is a dual nationality of Tunisia and the United States. Poorna grew up in several countries, including India, Pakistan, Ireland, Argentina, and Brazil. She also speaks several languages, including English, Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, and Tamil.
Poorna’s father’s name is Krish Krishnan. He is an Indian diplomat. Her mother’s name is Vasantha Krishnan. Both of her parents are from Chennai, India. Likewise, she has an older sister named Sharada. She is also of Tamil descent and a South-Indian American.
Regarding her educational background and qualifications, she attended the University of Brasilia before earning a journalism degree from the University of Maryland, College Park. Poorna attended Pace University’s Actors Studio Drama School on a scholarship to pursue a Master of Fine Arts in acting. She dropped out after the first year, but she continued to study acting with her mentor, Elizabeth Kemp, whom she met there.
How much is Poorna Jagannathan’s Net Worth?
In terms of earnings, she has a net worth of $200K. Her acting career is currently her primary source of income. She also makes money from other sources.
Who is Poorna Jagannathan married to?
Poorna Jagannathan married Azad Oommen on January 11, 2003. In addition, the couple has a very cute baby boy. Anav Oommen is the name of the baby. Poorna appears to be content with her family and her romantic life. And she does post a lot of cute and adorable pictures of her husband and son on her social media accounts.
How tall is Poorna Jagannathan?
Poorna is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 60 kilograms. Her other body measurements are 34-25-33 inches for her chest, waist, and hips. Similarly, she has a slim body and a stunning face. She also has black hair and eyes.
Career line of Poorna Jagannathan
- Poorna Jagannathan made her acting debut in Hollywood in 2004. She first appeared on the TV show “Law & Order.” Then she appeared in the independent comedy-drama film “She Hate Me.” Soon after, Poorna appeared in the drama film “The Weather Man.”
- Similarly, in 2006, the actress appeared in the TV series “Love Monkey” and “Rescue Me.”
- A year later, she starred in the series “Awake.” Then, in 2008, she joined the cast of the television show “The Game.”
- Following that, Jagannathan appeared in the television series “Numb3rs.” She also appeared in the drama “Royal Pains” from 2010 to 2011. She was then cast in the American comedy-drama film “Peace, Love, and Misunderstanding.”
- She was also in the Bollywood film “Delhi Belly.” The following year, Jagannathan appeared in the films “Thanks for Sharing” and “Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani.”
- In 2015, the actress starred in the American web television drama “House of Cards.” A year later, she appeared in the crime drama television miniseries “The Night Of.”
- Furthermore, in 2017, Poorna appeared in the series “Gypsy” as well as the film “The Circle.” She was recently cast in HBO’s “Room 104.” She is also an established theater actress and a board and company member of The Barrow Group in New York City.
- She recently lent her voice to three podcasts in the “Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls” series. The series is based on the New York Times Best Seller list books by Elena Favilli and Francesca Cavallo.
- She also read the biographies of Mary Kom, Margaret Hamilton, and Madam C. J. Walker. Similarly, Time named the series one of the 50 best podcasts of 2018.
- Poorna wrote “Nirbhaya” after being moved by the devastating gang rape and murder incident that occurred in Delhi on December 16, 2012. She released it in 2013. Yael Farber directed the production. During the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, it premiered at the Assembly Hall.
- She was moved by gang rape and murder in Delhi, and she initiated, produced, and acted in a testimonial play called Nirbhaya (“Fearless,” a pseudonym given to the victim).
- This play uses the rape and death of Jyoti Singh Pandey as a catalyst to break the silence about sexual violence. The play received the prestigious 2013 Amnesty International Award, as well as the Scotsman Fringe First and Herald Angel Awards. The Independent, The Telegraph, and The Herald all gave it 5 stars.
- It also received four-star reviews from The Times, The Scotsman, the London Evening Standard, and Time Out. Similarly, the Sunday Herald called Nirbhaya “one of the most powerful and urgent pieces of human rights theatre ever made.” Then, in March 2014, Nirbhaya headlined Southbank Center’s “Women of the World” festival. It played to sold-out audiences in the United Kingdom.
- Furthermore, after a successful Kickstarter campaign to fund an India tour, this play opened to critical acclaim in India on March 17, 2014, playing to sold-out houses in Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore. In addition, Nirbhaya was named one of the top ten “best fringe moments” in the history of the Edinburgh Festival by The Guardian audiences in August 2014.
- In May 2015, it premiered to acclaim at The Culture Project in New York City. It also became a New York Times Critics’ Pick. The play toured for nearly three years in cities across Ireland, Canada, the United Kingdom, India, and the United States. Many critics praised it as one of the most political and deeply moving pieces of theater ever produced.
- Poorna Jagannathan played Nalini Vishwakumar in the Netflix comedy “Never Have I Ever.” Critics praised it. Critics and many crew members praised her. Everyone was taken aback by her performance in the series. Furthermore, the majority of them stated that no one could have played the role of Nalini Vishwakumar better than Poorna Jagannathan.
- Poorna was excellent in the role. Everyone adored her role, which she performed admirably. She’s been a revelation in this series.
- The mumbled exclamations in a different language, the slight gestures and paranoid side-eyes of the Indian aunty, the seemingly effortless bridging of the paradox between ancient tradition, the nearly untraceable Indian accent, and modern necessity set Poorna apart from the others in the series. Furthermore, the series was a hit and was well-received by critics.
Achievements of Poorna Jagannathan
Poorna Jagannathan has appeared on the covers of Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, Femina, Jade, and Exotica. She has also been featured in numerous publications such as Vogue, Elle, Cosmopolitan, and Grazia. Similarly, in 2014, Verve magazine named her one of the top 50 most powerful women in India.
She was also featured in Vogue’s October 2012 anniversary issue as one of eight women who are changing the face of beauty in India. Furthermore, in 2012, she was named one of the top ten in Femina magazine’s list of “India’s 50 most beautiful women.”
In addition, Vogue named her one of the most stylish women in the world in 2012, 2014, and 2015. Similarly, Jagannathan received the “Best Dressed Award” from Grazia in 2014. Cosmopolitan named her the “Most Fashionable Indian Woman” in October 2013 and 2012.
Furthermore, Poorn was named one of Verve’s “2012’s Best Dressed Women.” Jagannathan was named by the Italian magazine Marie Claire as one of the 12 women from the East who influenced Western cinema in 2012. She was also named to Elle magazine’s 2011 list of the “Hot 100.” Furthermore, Poorna was named one of the Top 50 Coolest Indians From Around The World by Desiclub in 2013 and 2011.
Similarly, Jagannathan is a brand ambassador for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
Awards and Nominations of Poorna Jagannathan
Poorna Jagannathan has received numerous awards. Jagannathan won the “Stardust award for Best Supporting Actress” for her performance in the Bollywood film “Delhi Belly.” Similarly, in 2012, she received the “L’Oreal Femina Award” for Breakthrough Performance.
She has also received the “Amnesty International Freedom of Expression Award,” the “Scotsman Fringe First Award,” and the “Herald Angel Award.” All of these awards were bestowed upon her in 2013. Poorna has also won the “10th Annual Kamala Pasand Max Stardust Awards” for her Breakthrough Supporting Performance.
She was also nominated for the “18th Annual Colors Screen Awards” for Best Debut Actor, the “Zee Cine Awards 2012” for Best Debut Actor, and the “18th Annual Colors Screen Awards” for Best Supporting Actor.