The purpose of obtaining a food license is to ensure that the food items or products packed, traded, and sold by Food Business Operators meet the FSSAI’s quality standards. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India’s ultimate goal is to reduce the possibility of inferior food products, food adulteration, and to improve the activity of food manufacturers by granting them an FSSAI food license for food business or service.
Suggested read- fssai registration
In India, you can get your FSSAI license online.
The Food Licensing and Registration System issues food licenses, also known as FSSAI licenses, which determine food quality. A Food Licensed individual is only permitted to sell his food. Food Licensing is required for Food Business Operators in India, according to Section 31(1) of the FSS Act, 2006.
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, and it is in charge of issuing FSSAI licenses to food products and food business owners. FSSAI license is required for all types of food business operators, including food product manufacturers, food traders, and food store operators. It is the apex body established by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; the Government of India is responsible for developing and launching standards for selling, storing, and packing food in India.
Furthermore, this license is in accordance with the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006. Furthermore, depending on the size or scale of the business, there are two types of food licenses: FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License. And, once again, the FSSAI License is divided into two parts.
It also defines processes and guidelines for accrediting certification bodies involved in food safety management system certification for food operations. More information on the regulatory framework for proprietory food in India can be found here.
One of the main responsibilities is to create techniques and rules for laboratory accreditation and notification of certified laboratories.
Food Safety License Types
Food licenses are required for all types of food-related businesses. And the type of Food License you require is determined by a variety of factors such as the turnover of the food business, the size of the food business, and the type of operations or activities you engage in. There are two types of FSSAI licenses or food safety licenses or FSSAI registrations. The first is the FSSAI License, and the second is the FSSAI Registration. But how do you know which one is the best fit for you?
Basic FSSAI Registration
Petty food business owners must have a basic FSSAI registration. The annual turnover of such food-related businesses as petty retailers, itinerant vendor hawkers, or temporary stallholders should not exceed Rs. 12 lakhs.
FSSAI State License
An FSSAI State License is granted to a business with a turnover of between Rs. 12 Lac and Rs. 20 Cr. Furthermore, the turnover limit for an FSSAI State Manufacturing license and an FSSAI State Trading license is the same.
Central FSSAI License
A Central FSSAI License registration is a license granted to food businesses with a turnover of more than Rs. 20 crore. Manufacturing, trading, and storage units, for example, are examples of FBOs in this category.
FSSAI Registration Requirements Documents The following documents are required to obtain your food license:
- Completed and signed Form B is a formalized paraphrase.
- Photographs of the food business operator for identification Rent agreement for proof of premise possession
- The type of entity necessitates the use of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOA), a Partnership Deed, an AOA, and so on.
- A list of the food items or food products that are involved
- Complete the food safety management system plan or draught.
Documents Required for Central FSSAI Licensing
- Filled out and signed The food licensing business unit’s Form B blueprint
- Equipment and machinery used in the business unit are listed here.
- Details about partners, directors, proprietors, and so on, depending on the type of entity
- Food product or food item list to be dealt with.
- Raw material sources used in the manufacturing process
- Form IX Copies of certificates from the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Commerce for 100 percent EOU
- If the premise is rented, a rent agreement is required. A NOC, or No Objection Certificate, issued by the FSSAI is also required.
- Authority Letter
- Declaration Form
- NOC from the Manufacturer and a copy of the license.
The punishment for selling food without a permit
To operate a food-related business, all FBOs, with the exception of those exempted under Section 31 (2) of the FSS Act, must obtain a food license based on their eligibility criteria. To be clear, Food Business Operators who do not obtain a Fssai food license are subject to the following fines or penalties:
- Non-compliance with the Act on food quality: Rs. 2 lakhs, Rs. 25000 for minor manufacturers
- Rs. 5 Lakhs for misbranded food products
- Rs. 3 Lakhs for inferior or low-quality food goods
- Rs. 10 Lakhs for dishonest promotion, misleading advertisement, or incorrect description
- For non-essential aspects of the food product: Rs. 1 lakh
- Rs. 2 lakhs for failing to obey the food safety officer’s instructions
- 1 lakh rupees for utilizing unsanitary ways of processing, preparing or producing food items
Renewal of FSSAI License
Also, read – renewal food license
All food industry owners must adhere to the norms and regulations outlined in the FSSAI Act of 2006. Every food business owner or operator must obtain an FSSAI license. And the bulk of the people is unaware that renewing one’s FSSAI license is just as crucial as obtaining one. It is mandatory to renew your FSSAI license within the time frame specified. As an entrepreneur, you must obtain food certificates online every 1-5 years, regardless of whether your food business is all about processing units, manufacturing units, distribution units, food packaging units, or trading units.
The FSSAI Act of 2006 requires all food business owners to follow the standards and regulations established in the act. Every owner or operator of a food business must get an FSSAI license. And the vast majority of individuals are unaware that renewing one’s FSSAI license is just as important as obtaining one. It is mandatory to renew your FSSAI license within the given time limit. You must obtain food certificates online every 1-5 years as an entrepreneur, regardless of whether your food business consists of processing units, manufacturing units, distribution units, food packaging units, or trade units.